Sunday 28 April 2013

A photo album of Melbourne happenings and pretty people and things.

 All of my friends came with me to travel. A whale sewn by one of my most talented and beautiful friends, Veronica. A Angsty made by artist extraordinaire Ursa Eyer (She sells these if anyone wants one!) and a pretty little birdie from my best friends James and Angela. Not pictured is also a turtle stone that my best friend Robyn gave me as something to remind me to stay grounded, as well as a small photo album made by my sweet friend Kristen. I am so grateful to travel with all of the love of all of my friends wherever I go. 
 My first hosts in Melbourne! The lovely and entertaining couple Tahnia and Win. Bushwalking we go.
 I love this street artist. He/she puts these up all over the city and they are so whimsical and beautiful.
 This is some rare kangaroo steak. I ate a small piece of this kangaroo steak. It tastes like beef. 
This is Jade the sweet Kitty I was housemates with for my last several weeks in Melbourne.
            
 I stayed with my wonderful friend Birdie, who has a really sweet house, with a lot of succulents on the    porch and a big garden in her backyard full of cherry tomatoes and basil. 
                       Just a girl and her bird. having a coffee before it rains. 
                        Great Ocean Road! Its beautiful. 

 Such an amazing breakfast with Tahnia. Balinese black sticky rice, coconut milk, passionfruit, papaya and flowers for garnish. I would like to re create this at home. 


          Merri Creek, just down the street from the house I was cat sitting for. 
 Great Ocean Road is right along the coast. It wraps around and around. We had good weather. 
 A painting I like a whole lot made by one of Birdie's friends who is an artist living in Germany. 
 Pinata festivities with co-workers.
 Melbourne in all its beauty!
 Some good friends from New Orleans who happen to be living in Melbourne as well. We went to the Great ocean road together and had an adventure. We also ate jelly beans together on easter. Good times :)
 One of my closest and oldest friends, Julia, who lives in Melbourne and kindly drove us to Great Ocean Road
 I needed to take a picture of this because my Mom is named Penny. And what is a pouisson? The guy was sitting in the front seat with the motor running. I think you could knock on his window if you wanted to buy any of the listed meats. 
 Stephanie is brave. She ordered the stuffed squid with prawns. It was the last one available at the restaurant so we all took it as a sign that it was meant to be in her belly. 
 When Great Ocean Road turns away from the ocean, you get to see beautiful lush mountains and hills.
 This is a hedgehog slice. It is broken up tea biscuits inside a fudgy like brownie with coconut and sometimes nuts. It is as good as it looks!
 I wore my new orleans street car pendant when I left Melbourne to go to New Zealand. It reminds me that I have a beautiful home no matter where I am. 
 This is Miette. I nannied for her once a week while I was in Melbourne. She is a super cute 3 year old. Here she is reading to "baby", Miette means "sweet crumb" in French. 
 Melbourne has the best street art and grafitti I have ever seen.

 I baked a bit while I was there. Orange and fresh fig cake. 
 Everyone is Australia and New Zealand eats PIE. But not pie as we know it in the States...no no, meat pies. Savory pies. These are the savory pies we served at Babka, the bakery I worked in. Bridget made silly signs for us to know what kinds there were. 
 Botanical Gardens in Melbourne. 
 I made lots of cat friends on my trip. 
 This is a Koala! So close I wanted so badly to pet him! But he was sleeping so, couldn't disturb. 
 This guy was pretty close to, and we were in luck to see him wide awake and eating! Koala's sleep for some ridiculous amount of time in the day. It is very lucky to see an active koala. They are so cute. 
 The cafe's in Melbourne are too cool. I want some of these bell jars in my imaginary future bakery. 

 The great ocean of great ocean road. we went down to the beach to feel the sand. 

 Fresh figs everywhere! I came at the right time. 
 Melbourne has some of the best coffee I have ever had anywhere. And every cafe holds themselves to that standard. Its hard to get a bad coffee in Melbourne. 
 More cute shop displays and more bell jars. 
 A whimsical flower shop. 
 The lentil salad at Babka- Puy lentils, tomato, cucumber, sesame seeds, dates, and seared halloumi cheese on top. So good. 
Win being silly and "meditating" 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly, congratulations on blogging your travels! Your pics are beautiful of NZ and they encourage me to return there for a visit. Your story is touching and I'm glad that you are now going with the flow which helps you to enjoy the rest of your stay in NZ. Keep in touch, you're in our thoughts often. Tahnia & Win

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. The picture of Win - he's actually begging for alms, not meditating. LOL

    ReplyDelete